O2 Retreats was thrilled to host guests in September for six glorious days in Port Hardy! With the weather being perfect and remarkably dry, each day was a new adventure, and a culinary treat!
Our guests left our retreat refreshed, revitalized, and reminded of how important it is to take proper care of one’s self.
With the fall upon us and winter in the not-too-distant future, we all need to take special care of our immune systems this season! As they say, “The best defense is a good offense!”
The best way to boost the immune system is the tried and true ways that have been around for centuries.
- Drink plenty of quality fluids (water and more water, clear teas)
- Avoid processed sugar (actually easy to do if you use substitutes like honey, dates, or maple syrup)
- Avoid alcohol (sometimes hard at this time of year)
- The obvious (Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc at the onset of illness.)
- Chicken Soup (Yes! This does help, make your own with real bone broth though!)
- Rest! (this is one we ignore the importance of. Just take a couple of days to lay down and get
Although it may be challenging at first, do whatever it takes to reduce stress levels. In all honesty, stress is the biggest cause of illness so this is a crucial step. When we get mentally stressed our cortisol levels shoot up, the adrenal glands malfunction and we are in survival mode (fight or flight). I speak from
experience with this one. Learning to manage negative thoughts and habits is an art that must be mastered if you are to withstand this one. High cortisol levels can leave your metabolism at a standstill, which we all know is no bueno!
One personal experience that helps me stay healthy during stressful times is getting out every day in nature. Bundle up and head out to the forest, it is free and the O2 is the best thing for you. Move your muscles, meditate on what you want in life, and repeat each day!
Should you end up catching a bug:
- Flush your nasal passages with a neti pot
- Stay home (not enough people do this)
One last tip (my kids think it’s kooky), but an effective old-time remedy is to place raw onion rings on the balls of the feet at night in socks. Onions have amazing healing properties! *You will require a shower in the morning*